Thursday, August 1, 2013

American Woman

Ok so my kids are too cute. Here's another story about our crazy interactions. Sorry in advance!

In the car on the way to day care for the day me, H and L. The song, "American Woman" by Lenny Kravits comes on and I couldn't help but rock out. It is a great song when you don't hear it too much! Right? You know, it is a cover originally a hit in the 70's by The Guess Who and then in the late 90's (I think) Lenny Kravits comes out with this rocking cover and makes Sarah Jessica Parker famous again...and whatever commercial they were both in all dressed in white. (back before fast forwarding through commercials) I don't know, it made an impression, what can I say.

Anyway, I'm rocking out. The kids think I like weird music since it isn't Maroon 5 or Taylor Swift. H says it's not really music if they are screaming (sounds like my mom back in the day) or if on the off chance we listen to a really Rock song I get the snide "Anger Management dude." comment as the finger moves toward the radio settings (yes, I still listen to the regular local radio in the car).

And we get where we are going and the kids start to bicker as kids do, rotten kids.  So I start singing over them. "American Woman - stay away from me--he, American Woman - mama let me be-he"

So we are getting into the realm of almost being seen in public with your mom. OH NO. And they quiet down, hoping I will too, we're walking closer and closer to the building where at any moment someone could come out and see Mom totally killing this song that is weird to begin with. I mean, tensions are getting high.

If I knew how to attach a photo or a video I would. I'll have to try it next time.

Mom: American Woman - stay away from me--he,
L: (looking at the ground, eyes averted) No
Mom: American Woman - mama let me be-he
L: No
Mom: Buh-bye
L: No
Mom: BAHHHH-Byyyee
L: No
Mom: Tell you what I'm gonna do
L: No
Mom: Gonna leave you mama
L: No
Mom: Bahh-bye
L: No
Mom: Bahhhh- Byyye
L: No

I pretty much got it out of my system by then, I guess they figure, its gonna happen, best to duck and cover.

H says, "So that's the song I should sing when I go to college!"

Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment